Monday, November 24, 2008

Scalloped Potatoes with Quattro Formaggio


Rating:
Price: $3.99
Features: Contains 4 different cheeses, somehow doesn't taste very cheesy.
Found in: Refrigerated prepared foods section

I can think of a number of things that don't thrill me about this product, and one semi-positive thing to say. Let's get that one thing out of the way right now: This scalloped potato dish is refrigerated as opposed to frozen, so it microwaves in 6 minutes rather than 25 minutes.

On the other hand, I found this dish to be rather bland, especially considering all the trumpeting about the four different cheeses it contains. I expected a medium to strong cheese flavor, but instead I tasted... "blah." At $3.99 per small dish, I didn't feel this product delivered nearly as much value as many TJ's items do. One package was barely enough to serve four people as a second side dish along with a main course, veggies, and a salad.

The bland and unimpressive taste of these potatoes makes them not worth the large dose of fat, saturated fat, and salt in each serving. I've made a potato gratin before with cream, cheese, and bacon.
Healthy? No.
Tasted like it was full of cream, cheese, and bacon? Heck yes!
Good and hearty? You bet!

So, you want scalloped potatoes or a delicious gratin? Why not just make your own and serve it as the main dish? People will be much more impressed, and I am willing to bet you can make a heartier dish for less than $1.00 per tiny serving.

No comments: