Sunday, November 30, 2008

Heart Healthy* Whole Grain Cranberry Instant Oatmeal


Rating:
Price: $3.49 (8 packets)
Features: Lots of sweet & tart cranberries, 12 vitamins & minerals, and flaxseed for Omega-3's!
Found in: Near cereals and granola bars

I love this stuff! I have purchased countless boxes of this ever since I consumed my first two packets for breakfast on a cold and wet backpacking trip on the Olympic Peninsula. It was perfect: easy to prepare, hot, just the right sweetness, full of cranberries, and really sticks with you. Now I eat this oatmeal all the time: for breakfast at work, on the weekend, as a snack, and it is always in my pack when I am camping or backpacking. Just add hot water or microwave for a minute.

Eating whole grains for breakfast really keeps you full for a long time. I like that this oatmeal provides a healthy dose of B-Vitamins and Omega-3's. B-Vitamins help regulate your response to stress (and can be depleted by the caffeine in your morning coffee), while Omega-3's are good for your heart and may have a mood stabilizing effect. I'm not as confident in the proclaimed benefits of other ingredients, but regardless, this stuff tastes great!

Trader Joe's Heart Healthy Whole Grain Cranberry Instant Oatmeal take the wholesome goodness of oatmeal and ratchets up the nutritional benefits and the flavor profile to create a hearty hot cereal that will warm you from the inside out.

Whole grain rolled oats are enriched with flaxseed for their Omega-3's, plant sterol esters for their cholesterol-fighting properties, and inulin, a soluable fiber derived from the chicory root that promotes healthy digestion.

The oatmeal is lightly sweetened and sprinkled with sweet tart dried cranberries for added flavor. It is also an excellent source of 12 vitamins and minerals and goes from package to table in about a minute.
----------------
Now playing: The Fugees - Ready or Not
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip - I am often disappointed in instant oatmeal when I go camping so I'll give this a try next time.