Friday, November 7, 2008

Organic "Soy Creamy" Vanilla Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert

Rating:
Price: $2.99
Features: Organic, Vegan, Low Calorie, Low Fat, Low Sodium
Found in: Freezer Section

You know this stuff must be amazingly good because it essentially pushed me over the edge to actually get this blog started! I was doing my regular shopping at TJ's and remembered I wanted to get some ice cream to go with the apple crisp I made the night before. At first I was looking at TJ's "super premium" ice cream, but I noticed it was kind of spendy. Then I looked at the nutrition facts: Over 50% DV of fat and saturated fat in a tiny half cup serving, ouch! I know, that's what happens with super premium real ice cream, and it is delicious, but I wanted something a little lighter. I spotted this vanilla alternative right next to the ice cream. Now, I have had several kinds of soy and even rice "ice cream" before and they really didn't live up to the name. Rather than go to another store just for ice cream, I decided to give this a go. I'm glad I did.

This stuff is amazing! It has a pretty strong vanilla flavor, and the texture and mouth feel is practically like the real thing. Maybe it leans a little toward frozen yogurt, but whatever. I am still super impressed. If I didn't know any better I probably would assume it was ice cream. Several of the 'mates tried it as well and gave it enthusiastic reviews.

The Vanilla Soy Creamy was excellent on top of apple crisp (I love it when the crisp is warm so the ice cream melts a bit before you eat it all). It is also great just on its own, or with some chocolate syrup over the top. I am sure it would be fantastic in place of frozen yogurt or milk and ice in smoothies. Another carton should be showing up in the house soon so I can test that theory out!


----------------
Now playing: Common Market & Geologic - Crucible
via FoxyTunes

No comments: