Sunday, December 21, 2008

Nutty Chocolate Chewy Coated & Drizzled Granola Bars


Rating:
Price: $1.99 (6 bars)
Features: Partially organic, should be more thrilling
Found in: Granola Bars

Something about these bars is always a disappointment to me. Well, maybe not a full on disappointment, but I always expect better and then I am let down when I eat it. I guess that defines disappointment...whatever. Let's just say they could be so much better, but they aren't.

Let's see if I can quantify what I'm always looking for but never getting. The let down really starts with the chocolate. There's nothing quite like a generally "healthy" snack item that gets dipped in chocolate. Good times! Except this chocolate doesn't make the cut. It's kinda sweet, maybe a little waxy, not that chocolaty. So that brings me to the nutty part. Here again I encounter a very muted attempt at bringing in the full peanut ensemble. Sure, there are crunchy little bits of nuts, but they have more texture than taste. I want to taste peanuts, peanut butter, and chocolate. I get: Overly sweet and chewy with crunchy bits. Just not what I want out of them.

Funny, I keep buying these and I keep getting annoyed that they are not as good as they should be. I got this box because every other type of granola bar was out of stock, and I needed something to take to work. They do function as a snack to give you energy, but not the chocolate dipped "healthy" snack that tastes like a candy bar you think you are getting away with.

No comments: